The award-winning Mells Café is attached to the village shop and was opened by Great British Bake Off star Mary Berry at Easter 2011 and became an immediate success, serving freshly-cooked food to local residents, visitors, walkers and cyclists , 7 days a week, all-year round.
Accessed through Mells Village Shop, it has become the hub of the village – a popular visitor attraction serving hearty breakfasts from 9am, home-cooked lunches and delicious teas. Come and try our spectacular bacon baps, delicious coffees and teas, hearty home-made soups and salads, crispy, filled Paninis and of course, freshly made cakes and biscuits to die for. All cooked daily on the premises. But don’t take our word for it – we can’t resist sharing this recent review on Trip Advisor.
“Somerset’s hidden gem!
Fabulous service, freshly made everything – stupendous salads / sides to the most-tasty mains, everything from Paninis and bacon butties to the most gloriously delicious home-made cakes. And the freshly ground coffee is to die for! Naomi and the team make for a memorable and relaxing break and I always look forward to going back! Again, and again!! With free wifi, it’s the perfect spot for brunch, lunch or afternoon tea while catching up on the world on my tablet. “
- 20 seat capacity, bookable in advance for lunch or tea
- Comprehensive breakfasts, lunch and tea menus
- Children’s options
- Pensioners lunches served till mid March
- Daily lunch specials
- Friday Currys
- Vegetarian options
- Fresh Italian coffee and a wide choice of teas
- Range of juices, smoothies and cold drinks
- Outside terrace
- Free WiFi and work space
- Toilets with disabled WC
- Cycle-friendly pit stop with pump and puncture repair patches
NAOMI RUDGE – MANAGER/CHEF
Naomi Rudge, our new Café Manager/Chef, has spent all her life in and around Frome. She comes with a strong background in restaurant management and a passion for cookery – particularly tasty, nutritious dishes based on fresh, local ingredients. She impressed us all with her passion for food and we are looking forward to seeing how she creates her own style at the Mells Village Café. Watch out for flatbreads with roast meats, grazing platters and a range of tasty homemade pies. But even better, come along and meet Naomi and try her food yourself.
A BIG THANK YOU
- Mells Village Shop Ltd would like to thank the many businesses and individuals who have helped us, including major grants from:
- Mells & Vobster Community Trust
- VIRSA and the Co-operative Loan Fund
- RDPE Community and Social Enterprise Fund
- Somerset County Council Rural Fund
- The Trusthouse Charitable Fund
- The Mells Estate