The award-winning Mells Café is attached to the village shop and was opened by Great British Bake Off star Mary Berry at Easter 2011 and became an immediate success, serving freshly-cooked food to local residents, visitors, walkers and cyclists , 7 days a week, all-year round.
Accessed through Mells Village Shop, it has become the hub of the village – a popular visitor attraction serving hearty breakfasts from 9am, home-cooked lunches and delicious teas. Come and try our spectacular bacon baps, delicious coffees and teas, hearty home-made soups and salads, crispy, grilled and filled Ciabatta and, of course, freshly made cakes and biscuits to die for. All cooked daily on the premises. But don’t take our word for it – we can’t resist sharing this recent review on Trip Advisor.
“Somerset’s hidden gem!
Fabulous service, freshly made everything – stupendous salads / sides to the most-tasty mains, everything from Paninis and bacon butties to the most gloriously delicious home-made cakes. And the freshly ground coffee is to die for! …. a memorable and relaxing break….I always look forward to going back! Again, and again!! With free wifi, it’s the perfect spot for brunch, lunch or afternoon tea while catching up on the world on my tablet.”
Jo Fairclough – Manager & Chef
- 20 seat capacity, bookable in advance for lunch or tea and evening events by arrangment. Ask for a quote
- Comprehensive breakfasts, lunch and tea menus
- Children’s options
- Pensioners lunches served all year aparrt from July & August
- Daily lunch specials
- Vegetarian options
- Fresh Italian coffee and a wide choice of teas
- Range of juices, smoothies and cold drinks
- Outside terrace
- Free WiFi and work space
- Toilets with disabled WC
- Cycle-friendly pit stop with pump and puncture repair patches
A Big Thank You
Mells Village Shop Ltd would like to thank the many businesses and individuals who have helped us, including major grants from:
- Mells & Vobster Community Trust
- VIRSA and the Co-operative Loan Fund
- RDPE Community and Social Enterprise Fund
- Somerset County Council Rural Fund
- The Trusthouse Charitable Fund
- The Mells Estate
We would also like to register our appreciation of the enormous effort which the community at large has made to the regeneration of the Shop and construction of the Café: 216 MVS members who donated £20,000 between them AND the people of Mells, Vobster, Great Elm, Whatley, Chantry. Thanks also go to our friends from further afield who have tirelessly supported our fund-raising activities and who have made the Shop such a success by using it on a regular basis.